LOCATION INFORMATION: INDUSTRY APPLICATIONS


Location Data Tracking
This article provides a number of examples of how various apps track and use location data to deliver better user experiences. Wired


UK Politics Using GeoTargeting to Personalize Information to Voters

UK voters visiting political party website libdems.org will see news stories relevant to their local candidate’s campaign. The party forged a partnership with geolocation specialists Digital Element. Marketing Magazine
When Location Matters: Person Tracking Tools Activated to Find Victims of Nepal Earthquake
Google and Facebook activate their respective person tracking services to help track victims and survivors of the Nepal earthquake. BioTechWired
Chinese Mapping Wars
Chinese mapping apps, Alibaba, Baidu, and Tencent compete on mapping issues that are important to people such as air pollution, and real-time traffic patterns. Today
Satellite Analytics to Track Illegal Human Activity 
DigitalGlobe has released an analytics tool, which aims to monitor human activities and predict locations where potential offences will take place. The Stack
Red Cross Launches Severe Weather and Natural Disaster Emergency Alert App
LifeHacker India

 

TECHNOLOGY: THE LOCATION ECOSYSTEM


Identity Management Company GBGroup Acquires Loqate
GBGroup, which acquired a 25.5 per cent stake in Loqate in 2013, will now acquire the remaining 74.5 per cent share of the business for a total consideration of up to $15.4m. Gaming IntelligenceDirections Magazine
LED Supplier Acuity Brands Acquires Indoor Location Start-up ByteLight
ByteLight pioneered the use of Visible Light Communication (VLC) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technologies in combination with smart-phone Apps and Cloud services to transform LED lighting into indoor location waypoints. GPS Business News
Smart Factory
Manufacturing intelligence applications, real-time location tracking technology, and smart devices that will help automotive manufacturers reduce the cost and complexity of the assembly line. AutomationWorld

ECONOMICS: BUSINESS STRATEGY AND PLANNING


IOT And Locationomics
The Internet of Things (IoT) has the potential to drive fundamental economic and social change. It also presents many infrastructure challenges for CIOs. ComputerWorldUK
Cisco View of Locationomics
This Cisco-commissioned article discusses how location-based services are set to transform business. NetworksAsia
Nomi Technologies Lesson: Location Data Privacy Is an Ecosystem
Nomi Technologies, formerly known as Brickstream, a startup that tracks shoppers in stores and malls on behalf of retailers, agreed to settle charges that it broke a promise to let consumers opt out of its tracking and inform them they were being tracked while they were in retail environments. Consumers could not avail themselves of Nomi Technologies’ forward thinking privacy policy because Nomi Technologies’ retail customers did not provide in-store notice to consumers. The Wall Street Journal

CONFERENCE UPDATE


Collision Conference, Las Vegas,  May 5-6, 2015
“A grand conclave of tech’s high priests,” described The New York Times. Collision is Web Summit’s sister event for the U.S. In 4 short years, Web Summit has become Europe’s largest tech conference attracting over 20,000 attendees from around the world. Collision is their vision for a new type of tech conference for America: A meeting place for people who are both building the companies of tomorrow and managing the companies of today. We are interested in seeing how location has become a feature of almost every app and product on the market.

MARKET RESEARCH


Global Container Security and Tracking Market 2015-2019 
Container security and tracking products are capable of providing real-time status, position, and monitoring of intermodal shipping container condition and location. Industrial analysts forecast the Global Container Security and Tracking market to grow at a CAGR of 21.02 percent over the period 2014-2019. WhaTech